Click To Vote For Us @ the Top Baby Blogs Directory! The most popular baby blogs

October 8, 2010

Friday Confessional: Toaster Waffle Memories


Friday!  Friday!  Yahoo!  Bah what a week!
Let's just dive right in shall we?


  • I had a sweet little memory hit me in the face this morning.
  • I was making my kids a delightfully nutritious ridiculously easy breakfast.
  • Eggos.
  • Well, Walmart brand Eggos 
  • Or should I say Great Value Waffles.
  • Anyway
  • I was making their waffles and caught a whiff of their hot, crispy deliciousness.
  • And I was taken back,
  • WAY back
  • My Gramma Izatt used to make me Eggos.
  • I never ever EVER had them at my house.  
  • Ever.
  • But guaranteed that if I stayed the night at Gramma's,
  • which I did a lot for some unknown reason,
  • I was getting Eggos in the morning.
  • She would even cut them up on the lines
  • so each bite was the exact same size.
  • And would butter them and then pour on the syrup.
  • They were the best tasting waffles I ever had.
  • This morning, there must have been something in the air
  • I have made waffles for my kids a bazillion times.
  • They're a staple here at the picky eaters central hub.
  • But the crisp morning and the smell of warm toaster waffles.
  • All that was missing was the smell of Grampa's Postum.
  • Barf.
  • Ah, I miss them.
  • My Gramma made THE BEST macaroni and cheese on the planet.
  • Many, many times I have tried to get the taste just right.
  • I have never been able to figure it out.
  • I mean, it was just a box of  Kraft Cheese and Macaroni
  • But something she used made it taste DIVINE.
  • My brother and I have had many a discussion about what she could have possibly put in it to make it taste so darn good.
  • Real butter, half and half, real cheese?
  • Seriously, I may never know.
  • And my Grampa hated chocolate cake 
  • crazy fella.
  • So whenever she would make one
  • It was on us to take one for the team.
  • Which was totally awesome.
  • And by us I mean me, my brothers, and my 3 cousins
  • we all lived on the same block.
  • Just across the way from each other.
  • I have this funny memory
  • My cousins, brothers and I
  • sitting around the kitchen table
  • playing Uno and Sorry
  • and Gramma whipping out the chocolate cake.
  • My cousin, Bryce, starts singing this little number
  • "Gramma's great, she gives us chocolate cake"
  • I ALWAYS remember that Sunday night.
  • Always.
  • Kinda funny what a stupid waffle can do for your mind.
  • Funny.
  • I guess I'm feeling a little nostalgic
  • I get that way this time of year.
  • But I mean come on.
  • A waffle?
  • What next? An ice cream cone makes me misty?
  • I have a meltdown over A tuna sandwich?
  • Boy I think I need a hobby.
  • Or maybe I'm just starving.
  • Either way.
  • Miss ya Gramma and Pa!

Come play! You know you wanna.  It's totally fun!




Photobucket






3 comments:

Kellie said...

They say scents hold memories most poignantly. Enjoy those waffles! Yum!

Brooke said...

Ah, you've got me all nostalgiclike. Remember the trips to Montpelier (that only we got to go on) and listening to grandpa sing the ENTIRE way? My mom taught Cadence the song about the "Two little boys with two little toys" and it was an old war song where the one brother saves the other. . . I CRIED so hard when she came home singing the ENTIRE song from her little memory. Remember the applesauce cookies that were always hidden in the freezer - the ones Uncle Len always seemed to find when we couldn't? How did he do that? We could go on and on. Love you. Miss them too.

Shan said...

I don't know why, but I've always been addicted to waffles.